Cleaning Fabric Blinds Made Easy
One item that we may overlook during the periodic deep cleaning of our homes is our window treatments. This is often because we are just not sure how to clean them, especially if we have fabric shades or blinds.
However, in order to keep them looking new and lasting longer, it is recommended they be cleaned every 2 to 3 months. Cleaning fabric blinds can be safe and easy if we keep a few helpful hints in mind.
1. It is important to have all the equipment you will need together before you start.
2. It is good to know how the blind will react to water by checking a small inconspicuous area before cleaning the blind or removing a particular stain.
3. Many suggest first vacuuming the blind with a brush attachment. If using a vacuum, make sure you go across the window treatment to prevent damage (for example, cleaning the slats on roman shades).
4. Next, use a sponge soaked in lukewarm water with a small amount of mild laundry soap. Wring out most of the water in the sponge and gently wipe the area, careful not to rub the material too hard.
5. Use a soft towel to gently blot any moisture from the blind and let air dry.
6. For spot cleaning, use an all-purpose cleaner. Spray the cleaner onto a dry, clean cloth and wipe gently with the grain of the shade or blind. Never spray the cleaner directly on the blind or shade.
7. Water stains on blinds can be somewhat difficult to clean, so it is best to get professional advice from a window treatment company before you attempt to clean the blind or shade.
If you have any other concerns or questions about cleaning fabric blinds and shades, contact the place where you bought them, or give us a call here at Home Decor Solutions. For help and suggestions, we are just one click, one call away.